When we meet on Sunday mornings, our primary goal is to worship God. We worship in many unique ways - through prayer, teaching, giving, fellowship, and service - but one of the most important for us when we are gathered together is singing. Throughout the Bible, we are invited and even commanded to join our voices together in praise (Psalm 95, Psalm 100, Colossians 3.16). Music in our church has three distinct purposes:
It lifts our hearts to God. | The goal of our singing should never be some vague emotional experience. At the same time, we can engage in worship with our emotions - joy, sorrow, grief, thanksgiving. Music is a unique tool that we can use to express those sentiments openly and honestly to God.
It joins our hearts together. | When we sing together as a church, we are joining in a common voice to praise God and sing truth about His character and His works. Too often, music becomes a dividing point in a church, while instead it's meant to be a unifying act. When our primary aim becomes worshiping the all-powerful Creator of the Universe, the all-loving Redeemer of our souls, secondary preferences - like the style of songs that we sing or the instruments that we use - begin to fade away.
It shapes our hearts. | There’s no doubt that the music we listen to and sing along with has a role in shaping what we believe about ourselves, about the world around us, and about God. When we sing songs of worship on a Sunday morning and throughout the week, we are reminding ourselves of the truth that we read about in Scripture.
Playlist - Off the Beaten Path
- Off the Beaten Path - A collection of artists and songs that you probably won’t hear on the radio
- Modern Hymns - Reenvisioned hymns, both ancient and modern
- Psalms - Passages from the Psalms set to music
- Pump It Up! - High-energy jams, music you could take to the gym
- Wordless - Instrumental music, great for studying or work
- Folk - Music with a strong, driving beat and usually a banjo or two
- Sunday Mornings - Songs that we sing regularly on Sunday mornings
- Coming Soon to Grace - Songs that we’ll be learning as a church soon
- Worship - Some of today’s best worship songs
- Chart Toppers - Christian hits
- Experimental - For adventurous listeners only...
Interested in joining our music teams? Please fill out the short form below to let us know, so we'll be able to get in touch with you!
For more reading on the topics of worship and music in the church, check out these resources!
- A Definition of Worship | Brandon Bellanti
- The Air I Breathe: Worship as a Way of Life | Louie Giglio
- Rhythms of Grace: How the Church's Worship Tells the Story of the Gospel | Mike Cosper
- Christ-Centered Worship: Letting the Gospel Shape Our Practice | Bryan Chapell
- Desiring the Kingdom: Worship, Worldview, and Cultural Formation | James K.A. Smith
- Imagining the Kingdom: How Worship Works | James K.A. Smith